Image Map

Friday, October 19, 2012

Plus Sized Skirt to Cute Paper Bag Skirt

Things suddenly became a little busier in our house. With the last semester of school coming to an end for my husband, we are suddenly faced with decisions regarding our future. Some of you may know that my husband is a Machinima Youtube commentator. This means that he makes money from sponsors and video views on his video game commentary videos. 

Recently, we sat down and had a long chat. He revealed that he wanted to continue his Youtube career instead of pursuing a job in mechanical engineering. It may seem like a waste of a bachelor's and master's in business degrees, but the income he currently brings in is no small amount of pocket change. Since I've technically been unemployed, we've been living off his income alone for the past 5 months. I'm happy for him too! I'm glad that he's found something that he truly enjoys doing and while making some hard earned money.

Before Brad told me that he was taking on an internet career, I had hoped that we would move wherever he got an engineering job. Now that he'll be working from home, I actually get to choose where we move. 

So, I chose the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area in Texas. My big brother's family lives there and the state is faring quite well in this down economy. Jobs are aplenty and the healthcare industry is bustling in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. This means I can expand my horizons in my nursing career. Along with applying for jobs and searching for houses, I've been cleaning and preparing for a visit from my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew this weekend. I'm so excited!

Since I've been too busy to craft new things I decided to post about something I made awhile back... a chambray skirt!




I'd had my eye on this skirt at the thrift store for awhile. Since chambray is in style, I really wanted a skirt version. The problem was that the skirt's size was originally 22W with worn out elastic. This thing was HUGE. I could have fit 2 of me in there. 



I didn't make a tutorial of this process, but it's fairly simple. Here's what I did:

- Used seam ripper to take out elastic.
- Folded over the waist to create a very wide waist band.
- Sewed one line of stitching to create the casing of the waistband. Then, sewed another line of stitching an inch (depends on the width of your elastic you're using) or so above the first line of stitching. Remember to leave a small opening to slip in your elastic!
- Slipped in the elastic and sewed the opening close. Did a few tack-down stitches on each side of the waist to keep the elastic from rolling.
- TADAA! Paperbag skirt! 

White V-Neck shirt: JCPenny
Faded Glory chambray skirt: thrifted/reconned
Brown leather braided belt: Target
Black Ralph Lauren Polo patent leather penny loafers: Ebay


After this photo was taken, I folded up the hem about 2 inches to shorten the skirt. So comfy and cute and simple to make! :) 

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this short post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment