Image Map

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Nail Fail: Scalloped French Manicures

I'm sorry everyone. I didn't post yesterday and this post will explain why. Today's post is not what you expect. Well, I would hope by now you could guess by the title.

So, I tried to do a nail polish manicure tutorial with something I had not really seen done. I was attempting a scalloped-edge French manicure. It took me 4 TRIES and I finally gave up. First time, I didn't wait long enough for the base color to try before putting on the scotch tape and it pulled up ALL of the base polish. :(

Second try, I let the base polish dry for 1 1/2 hours! And it STILL pulled up the polish when I pulled the tape off!!!!!!!! ARRRGHHHHH. The other 2 tries? Me just smearing the crap out of the polish and having to redo them. So, I just gave up and painted my nails neon yellow.



Here are my supplies I used (from left to right):

-clear Scotch tape
-Sally Hansen Nailgrowth Miracle in Gentle Blossom
-Essie in Nude Attitude
-Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
-Seche Vite Crystal Clear Base Coat
-scalloped edge craft scissors


Here is how the Essie Nude Attitude (3 coats) looks.


This past Sunday, FiberLuxe and I went shopping at TJMaxx and in the checkout line we stumbled upon $4 ON SALE Essie polish! I was so excited! I actually did NOT own any Essie polish up until that point. I bought 3 different colors! :D All, I can say is that the formula is NICE. It's not too thick like China Glaze but not too thin either like cheap polish. It's just the right consistency. And is super glossy!!! Love it. <3


Then, I attempted to cut some scotch tape with the scalloped craft scissors..... So these scissors are NOT sharp AT ALL. I was actually TEARING tape instead of cutting it. So I got very frustrated during this process.

So, I put them on my presumably dried nails (I sat for 1.5 HOURS and watched them dry.) and started painting the Sally Gentle Blossom on. I did 2 coats of that and then tried to pull the tape off while the polish was still kinda wet so it wouldn't peel.

Oh, it peeled alright. PEELED ALL OF MY BEAUTIFUL WORK OFF. ARRRRGHHH. *sobs*



And there you have it guys. I CANNOT PAINT NAILS. :( Be sad with me.

The terribly ugly face of sadness.

So, that was another day and 4 hours wasted on my nails and a missed blog post. Plus, I had to cook dinner, wash laundry, and go visit my friends. And I was very disappointed and depressed so I went to bed somewhat early (Okay. 3am isn't early but whatever, sue me.)

But here are how my nails look now!


I used Milani Neon in Totally 80's! I have used this polish once before but I DID NOT use a white undercoat and the results were awful. The polish itself is VERY sheer and just looks bad layered on by itself. (I shall spare you the photos) So, I used Sally Hansen Complete Manicure in Lavender Cloud as my "white" base. Okay, I know it's not true white but if you saw the color, you'd think it was white because there is almost NO lilac color in the polish. 

So, if you think about buying this polish. Buy a GOOD white base coat to go under it. This is 1 coat Seche Vite Base Coat, 2 coats of the Lavender Cloud, 2 coats of the Totally 80's, and 1 coat Seche Vite Top Coat.

Tadaaa! The down and dirty Milani Neon Totally 80's polish review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment