Image Map

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Manicure Time!

I haven't posted in 2 days because I couldn't think of anything to blog about. I painted my nails last night with some new polish I hadn't used yet so I figured I would blog/review about those polishes.

Unlike my good friend, Fiberluxe, who reviews some awesome polishes, I am lazy and cheap so I choose to review cheap $1-2 polishes. I figured, "Hey. Someone's gotta review the cheap polishes too, eh?" Don't get me wrong, I do have some more pricey polishes in my collection like Essie and some new Zoya polishes (Wednesday and Myrta from the Beach and Surf Summer 2012 Collection) I bought on the Zoya site the other day that I CANNOT wait to try!




I used these 2 polishes:

2 coats Seche Vite Base Coat, 2 coats The Real Teal, 1 coat Seche Vite top coat, 3 coats (on ring finger)  NYC MoMa

On the left: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in The Real Teal. On the right: New York Color In a Minute Quick Dry in MoMa. I bought the Sally Hansen on for like $2 at CVS Pharmacy and the NYC polish came in a combo pack polish at Dollar Tree. See? I am cheap. :P

The NYC MoMa is quite true to color (pinkish-magenta) in these photos. I only used the color on my rings fingers on both hands and it dried quickly. The formula is what you'd expect in a cheap polish: thin and sheer. This is 3 coats plus a Seche Vite base and top coat. 

The Sally Hansen The Real Teal, wasn't too bad but wasn't too great. I usually fawn over Sally polishes and LOVE their formula and brushes. I now can see why this polish is $2. Sure, it dried SUPER fast but there were some downsides. If you paint a few seconds too slow, the polish becomes thick and goopy and starts streaking over the nails. It sort of reminded of some China Glaze polishes when it became thick. Another surprise was that the polish did not look metallic in the bottle. I was a bit shocked at the metallic undertones when I put it on my nails. 

I was really wanting a creme based teal, but unlike other metallic polishes, this one did NOT streak easily after putting on 2 coats. I was quite pleased. The brush on the polish was not like the other Sally brushes. It was a thin, standard brush found in cheaper polishes although a bit longer. It wasn't bad, but I really like the curved, thick brushes Sally has. 

It was hard to capture the true color of The Real Teal. As I'm typing this post, my nails look more greenish teal than the blue-ish teal of the photos. But the color is still nice and I would recommend if you're looking for a cheap, but reliable teal color.

I haven't attempted another nail art yet.... I'm afraid after my last nail fail. :( I wish I could be as skilled Fiberluxe. I've been working on tons of new clothes so I shall post that soon as I'm done!

2 comments:

  1. Hey now, you're getting really good at painting your nails! That's a good looking mani, I need more magenta in my life. I think I have like...one. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankies! :3 I had kinda slathered my fingers in lotion beforehand so a lot of the polish that went "out of the lines" were easily peeled off lol. I saw somewhere that magenta was a popular color this season so that's why I bought it!

      You can borrow it anytime! :D

      Delete